Welcome to my blog * thoughts and things * poetry, pictures * ideas * opinions * kindness * video * stay and read a while.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Alternative Way To Celebrate New Year: Balinese Nyepi 2012

Share it Please
Here is an idea for an alternative way to celebrate new year: don’t do it in January.  Wait till March and go to Bali where the Balinese celebrate Nyepi, one of the holiest days on the Balinese calendar.  It is a day of silence dedicated to meditation, introspection and reelection on the past year.

Bali’s usually bustling streets are uncharacteristically silent on Nyepi because even non-Hindus keep quiet out of respect for this day of inward looking.  Some pople take it quite seriously and don’t talk, don't light fires and don't travel.  The day after is typically celebrated as New Year’s day. 

This came onto my radar again because on of my best friends, William Abel, is teaching yoga on a group tour to Bali in 2012 to celebrate Nyepi while practicing daily yoga.  He plans to start every day of the tour with 108 recitations of the Gayatri Mantra, followed by yoga and then breakfast (my favorite part).  William has been to Bali many, many times and is so excited about taking people to one of his favorite places on the planet, to do yoga (all levels welcome), chant, and visit some of the holiest temple sites on the islands.  He was the yoga instructor on a
recent tour that I was on in Bali and I think every person on the trip fell in love with him.

I have been to Bali so many times I seem to have lost track of the count.  And every time I have missed Nyepi.  I've only read about it and seen photos taken by friends of the giant paper-mache creatures carried around the streets (I believe they are claled ogoh-oghos) on the day before Nyepi.  So this time I'm hoping to hitch a ride on William's yoga tour.  For once I wont be a working staff member, but a genuin traveler-pilgrim (camera in hand) and I'll be able to bring back my own darn photos of ogoh-ogohs.

Something about a day of silence to prepare for new beginnings appeals to me. Growing up with party style new year celebrations typically left me feeling discouraged about the year just newly started with a hang over.  I don't mind waiting till March to begin anew, in fact, i'm rather looking forward to it.

If you want more information about William Abel, or the tour to Bali he is teaching on, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts


5 most recently updated from the blogs I'm following

Followers

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners
"This wonderful book guides any individual to understand Science of Mind with ease and grace. It is a simple and beautiful presentation of the Spiritual Principles Science of Mind teaches. I highly recommend this book to students, licensed Practitioners and ministers. Blessings to Rev Edward." ~ Johan Gonzalez RScP. Science of Mind and Spirit for Beginners: Four Chapters in Simplified Prose, paraphrased by Edward VIljoen

Practice The Presence Journal

Practice The Presence Journal
Journaling offers a powerful way to record your spiritual growth. Writing in a journal calls on you to be more conscious of the insights that occur daily in your life. It gives you an opportunity to examine your beliefs and be mindful of your choices.

Seeing Good At Work

Seeing Good At Work
I have been through the book three times over three years, and am starting it again. This is not because the material in the book is not working, but because it is working so well! The weekly lessons keep me on track and focused on what is actually true and important, and help me experience more good in every area of my life. LS

Ezine.com